10 Things To Immediately Do Following a Slip and Fall
When you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident, time is of the essence. Our team understands that knowing what to do in a case like this may seem confusing and even embarrassing – but we seek to stand by you and help. We’ve created a pathway for you in case of this kind of accident, because knowing how to proceed is half the battle – here are 10 things to do immediately following a slip and fall:
- Find a store manager a complete an incident report. Be sure to ask the manager for a copy of the incident report before you leave.
- Take photographs of the substance which you slipped on before it is cleaned up by store employees. Be sure to take photographs of the surrounding area as well as the immediate area where you fell.
- If you are in pain, tell the store manager exactly what part of your body is hurting you when the incident report is being completed. If you are offered medical assistance, do not be embarrassed to accept it.
- Ask the store manager for a copy of the surveillance video of your fall. Often times, stores have policies that prohibit employees from releasing store surveillance to you, however, there are occasions where you will be given a copy.
- Seek medical attention immediately if you feel any pain. When speaking to your medical care provider explain to them in detail how the accident occurred. It is important that your medical records accurately reflect how the accident occurred.
- Once you are home, save the shoes you were wearing at the time of the accident. Do not continue to wear the shoes as the insurance company will often want to inspect them in the condition they were in at the time of your fall.
- Write down what you remember from the slip and fall. As time passes, our memories of events can fade and we begin to forget details which may be critical to your case in the long run. By documenting your experience shortly after it happened, you are preserving your memories when they are most fresh in your mind.
- Call Graves Thomas Rotunda Injury Law Group for a free consultation at 800.FIGHT.4.YOU. You will meet with one of our experienced attorneys who will quickly get to work on your case by contacting witnesses and collecting valuable evidence which could be lost or destroyed over time.